When I first came across instructions for the first blog entry, the first thing i did was to google "effective communication", as what most of us would have done for a better understanding. So, I shall share chuan's take on effective communication instead of the standard definition.
Those who know me personally will describe me as someone who is loud, cheerful and also one with never ending conversation topics. I feel that an effective communication involves engaging each other in the conversation regardless of the range of topics. Sadly, my effective communication skill is only limited to friends or small crowds. Beyond that, I would stammer and panic during a speech in front of a crowd and probably start blabbering rubbish such that people may not be able to understand what I am trying to say, making it an ineffective communication.
In my view, an effective communication is short and sweet, direct to the point. I never understood why my friends would complain about the word limit for assignments because I never had the problem with it. I used to count the number of words I wrote or typed and would be thrilled if I reach the minimum word count.
Through this course, I hope to at least have the confidence of presenting sanely in front of others so that the presentation is a two-way process. Also, I hope to improve on my writing skills to be more detailed in expressing my thoughts, so that I will not have to constantly depend on Microsoft Word's word counting tool!
In conclusion, effective communication to me is being able to engage my target audience and allow them to comprehend fully my message! (:
HELLO seatmate!
ReplyDeleteI guess we are all considered effective communicators when we are in our comfort zone right? When I read "presenting sanely" I literally laughed out loud, is there presenting insanely? hahahaha, ok bad joke, sorry.
Yes I have the same hopes as you in this course. Let's "add oil" for the coming peer teaching assignment yeah?
cheers!
CHUANS!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't say that you panic during a speech, you just have to give it in chinese =p (okay kidding)
Your definition of effective communication is rather spot on for me, something I personally am having trouble with too. Well on the bright side, you have plenty of chances to hone your skills this sem, especially with our peer teaching assignments and various presentations.
I wish you all the best in achieving your goals, and rest assured I will be right there working towards it with you! (=
much love!
Hey chuan!
ReplyDeleteI think many people, including me do have the same problem as you, being able to speak out only in small groups and get the jitters during a presentation or speaking in large groups.
I've always known you as the "loud girl" since I couple of years ago when we first met so I believe that through this module, you'll be able to develop effective communication skills and become a "confident loud girl"!
Let's work hard in this module together! :D
Hwee Teng
Hello there classmates!
ReplyDeleteWell, Chuan Ting's first post mentions about the different challenges faced by many others in oral and written communications. Indeed, barriers that many find difficult to overcome during communication depend on the channel a communication takes places.
As mentioned by Stella and Hwee Teng, each of us have our own preferred method and channel of communication that we are comfortable with When faced with a circumstance that requires us to step out of our comfort zones, some of stutter during a presentation, some take an hour or more just to write a paragraph of 50 words. In other words, the words just could not flow as smooth as when we are in our comfort zones even though our mind is very clear of what we want to say.
I think we could utilise the ample opportunities in this module to venture beyond our comfort zones if we want to reach out to and engage a wider audience more effectively.
Looking forward to the challenges ahead.
Thanks, Chuan Ting, for your thoughts on effective communication. You mention a couple areas where you feel you need improvement. For one, you state that you might "stammer and panic" if speaking in front of a crowd. Is this only a question of confidence? And if it is, what do you think would allow you to be more confident in such a situation? Can you visualize yourself speaking well in such a situation?
ReplyDeleteI look forward to hearing more from you on these sorts of things during the rest of the term.
Hello Chuan Ting!
ReplyDeleteI agree that "short and sweet, direct to the point", as you have written above, is one of the best ways to define effective communication. That will also avoid miscommunication when talking to other people.
However, can one always achieve this "short and sweet, direct to the point" principle for effective communication? What would the world be, if everyone converse (verbally or non-verbally) with that principle in mind?
Hi Chuan Ting!
ReplyDeleteI love the idea about short and sweet! I think it is well reflected during our peer teaching group meeting one.
I always struggle about reaching the minimum word count as well. Though most of the time teacher will not impose a minimum, I feel bad not reaching the "accepted" minimum since everyone is complaining about the maxium set.
Haotang