The oral presentation marks the end of this research project and I heaved a sigh of relief after finishing my part. I would really to take this opportunity to thank my group members, Wellens and Zoe for the wonderful time together!(Maybe it's my one-sided opinion) Here comes the actual reflection:
This is the first time I did a formal presentation for a proposal. Initially, I was very worried that my mind would blank out when I am standing in front of a group of people and thus end up blabbering nonsense. I tried to calm myself down by taking deep breaths before the presentation and it did help a little. Through this session, I also found out that it is possible to present without memorizing if the information is at the back of my hands.
Throughout my presentation, I was merely regurgitating facts about the background/ problems and failed to include the aspect on persuasion. In addition, my nervousness was still apparent when I fumbled over my words at times. Other than that, I was happy with my voice projection as well as glad to try giving a presentation without a memorized speech.
Overall, it was a rather smooth presentation and key points were clearly emphasized to the audience. I also felt that my group had relatively good understanding of our topic and could handle the questions posted rather well.
Hope to receive some feedback on my presentation skills as I believe that the audience would have a clearer picture of my performance. Thank you!
Hello Chuan Ting!
ReplyDeleteI think the most obvious strength you have is your volume and gestures. Also, compared to your rehearsal the night before presentation day, your body movement was less.
To add on to your point on fumbling over your own words, I noted that there were a few instances in which you said "um". I suggest that you consciously control these - one of my college teachers called it "swallowing the lahs" (she was referring to the usage of "lah" in Malaysian English and Singlish). "Swallow" it whenever you feel like blurping out an "um".
Cheers!
Hey Chuan Ting,
ReplyDeleteDo you or your teammates have the oral presentation video uploaded yet? I want to give you comments, but I have to see the video first.
Sorry for the inconvenience!
Cheers
Hey Mark!
ReplyDeleteI am sorry for the delay! The video is too large in size and I have to pass to Wellens on Friday for him to compress it. I am really sorry about it.
JH!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the wonderful tips! I will keep that in mind! :D
Hey Chuan Ting!
ReplyDeleteLike most people have already said, you as no issues with regards to clarity and volume. The "umms" were there but not until the point where the presentation felt segmented, though cutting down on it would give your delivery much more persuasiveness.
Maybe it's because the audience were sitting far at the back, but I felt like your eyes were focused to the back of the class. But it could have been your strategy to lower your nervousness, who knows!?
hey chuanting!
ReplyDeleteGood voice projection! you were articulate and had good eye contact. I also like the way you handled questions from the audience, especially tough ones from JH, haha. you were polite and confident when answering questions.
But I feel that you could have placed emphasis on certain words during presentation, to make it more impactful. And I noticed you seemed to hold yourself a bit too tensely in the beginning of the presentation, so maybe can relax a bit?
Hello Chuan Ting. You did well in your presentation! Like everyone mentioned, good and clear projection. I think you explained well during the "question and answer" session.
ReplyDeleteYou could try varying your hand gestures to aid in your delivery to make it more effective. It should not be too exaggerated though.
Cheers. (:
Hi Chuan Ting!
ReplyDeleteGreat presentation! Your loud and clear voice is definitely your strength in the presentation. On top of that, you had good eye contact and adequate gestures.
You were also very polite when answering questions during the Q&A section as well. That's a good point for us to learn from!
However, I did notice your relaxed posture while you were sitting down when your group mates were presenting, so I do wonder if sitting down during the rest of the presentation other than your part is the right choice.
Hwee Teng
Hey Chuan Ting,
ReplyDeleteGood points----eye contact given, fixed stance at one spot, variety in the range of sounds you make, no monotone. You had staccato!
Bad points: you weren't eloquent or fluent, and your elocution was totally off, as I wrote in my article on "Acing Presentations". Because your elocution was off, I couldn't sense any passion, confidence, passion, energy, persuasion, volume, tonality, power from you. Without all these, speeches and presentations are 'weak' and lacklustre. Almost every student in our Group and I suppose Group 4 suffer from this 'weak' problem due to lack of world-class elocution.
Your next bad point was your gestures seem to 'float' in the air, out of place and out of mind. There must be REASON for your gestures, because without REASON, there is no CONVICTION in you and your gestures, and they will come across as 'weak' or hanging in the air!!! I mean you put up a hand to the screen every now and then, but that was all. Maybe you could show us a wink, a fist, a fingerpoint, a clasped hand, a shrug of your shoulders, a nod or shake or your head et cetera. You didn't have any of these or otherwise, so I rate you down on that.
Finally, you appeared a tad nervous sometimes when you fumble a little for words, and you might want to read the last section of my article to learn how to cope with that nervousness or crowd anxiety.
Cheers to Chuan Ting!
Hi CT,
ReplyDeleteI think you are another natural presenter from our class. Good olume, voice projection, eye contact and firm stand.
You have pretty good gestures too, though sometimes a bit stiff. I think you can just relax a bit. then everything is going to be fine:)
Cheer up!
Susan
I watched the video and felt that the pace you started with was a little bit too fast. Looks like Zoe and I are so used to maintaining the pace that the presentation only lasted for less than 9 minutes.
ReplyDeleteOverall, your voice projection and pronunciation were enough to grab the attention of audience. I doubt you will ever face the problem of managing your class when you become a teacher haha.
Hello all!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement as well as tips for me to improve. I will definitely work hard to become a better public speaker! :D