Before I attended the first ES tutorial, I was really worried about my ability to cope with this module after I read the packed course schedule. It seemed really daunting and of course it was also because I did not like the idea of having to present in front of people. It is the end of semester once again and it marks the end of my university life. I am glad that I took this course and I dare say it is the best course that I ever took in NUS.
Besides being equipped with the knowledge of different forms of communication, we were given numerous opportunities to practice communication in class. I especially like the weekly interactive tutorial sessions with the same group of people as it allowed us to build up friendship as the days passes. Other than attending tutorials with the same group of people, we also were provided with many opportunities to explore effective communication ie through peer teaching and research project. The activities included follow up (evaluation and peer feedback) and thus, I felt that there was really a purpose in this course, just like its title, to hone our communication skills, unlike other courses where students merely go through activities for the sake of it.
I strongly recommend this module for the resilient people as the workload is very heavy and we have to constantly work hard to warm Brad's heart! I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone in Group 10 as well as Brad for making this course so wonderful!
Takeaway from this course: People learn best when they practice what they learn.
hi chuanting!
ReplyDeleteLike you I was a bit worried about the workload of this module at the beginning, but it wasn't that bad in the end right? hahaha...
I agree with you when you said there was a purpose in the course and not just going through the activities for the sake of it. or for the sake of participation points.
It was nice working with you and Susan on the peer teaching activity. And I'll always remember you being difficult with me during the mock interview! Lol..
I am so jealous you are graduating soon...but still, all the best in your future endeavors yeah!
Hi CT!
ReplyDeleteI learn best when I am among people I adore!!!
All the best!
Susan, HT
Hey Chuan!
ReplyDeleteAren't you glad you took this module, especially for the line of work you are going to be in? (= It was a joy seeing you be get more confident speaking formal english to a crowd (so different from what I saw in hall =p).
I agree with you about the exercise! I could actually see and feel the purpose of each assessment that we did, a rarity in NUS. Good luck for your finals!
Hey Chuan Ting!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the fun and life that you inject into the class and being unafraid to speak your mind, truly a force to be reckoned with!
I totally agree that we learn best that when we practice whatever we have learned, hopefully when we recall all the skills we have developed through this class, the memories we share as a class would come back too!
All the best for your FINAL exams!
Hi Chuan Ting,
ReplyDeleteMy takeaway point from the class will be that you have a really really explosive voice! It is seriously incredible. Of course, your steadfast, direct attitude has also brought such fun into the class, especially when in heated discussion about 'people' in general too. All in all, I'm really glad that I got to know you in the course, and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.
PS: I'm sure you'll make an awesome teacher! =)
Hello Chuan Ting!
ReplyDeleteAren't you glad that I recommended this module to you? :p
It's really fun taking a module with you once again, although we were not in the same group. Anyway, we both agree that not being in the same group is for our own good isn't it? We made new friends and were exposed to people of different working styles.
Let's work hard in the working world together! :D
Hwee Teng
Hi Chuan Ting! :)
ReplyDeleteIndeed, people learn best when they practice what they learn.
I really admired your straightforwardness and quick-wittedness in your replies to the questions asked in class. I'm pretty sure that you will excel in your future job and undoubtedly be one of the best practitioner in all that we've learnt in this module.
All the best to you and to Hwee Teng in the working world. :)
Cyn =)
Thank you, Chuan Ting, for doing exactly that, warming my heart with this fine reflection and your great effort throughout the term. It encourages me to know that our many activities were valuable for you, even when the workload was intimidating. You mention also how you had a fear of presenting. That changed though, right? By the final OP, you had complete control of your content and your delivery, which shows a couple things: a) your courage to do what you hadn't expected you could do, b) the value of the various practice sessions. So indeed, practice makes perfect....and giving/receiving feedback within the context of that effort is a great means of reflecting on one's strengths and weaknesses.
ReplyDeleteAs a future teacher, you need to take that "trade secret" into your own classrooms. I have faith that you will be inspiring as a teacher, Chuan Ting. Your strength of character with a clear willingness to dive right in and embrace the challenges will serve you well.
All the best as you continue your own learning journey!
It was great working with you Chuan Ting. Glad to hear that you have learnt alot from this module before graduating. Indeed, this might be one of the few modules in NUS where we can really learn through practice.
ReplyDeleteAll the best in your future endeavours!
Heyy Chuan Ting!
ReplyDeleteLooking at how you performed the other day, I did not get the idea you did not like to do presentations at all! :P Totally agree with you about practicing is learning! Being a teacher-to-be I am sure you will be able to apply this theory into your teaching style.
It has been great working with you and wellens in the big project and you really motivate me to do my stuff as I can be really really lazy. All the best for your exams and your future career! :D
Hi everyone, it has really been a great semester with you guys. I am really glad that I took this module. My last semester in NUS ended with a great BANG with great pizzas! :D
ReplyDeleteHey Chuan Ting, this is probably the last reply for this post. (: I just want to thank you for the fun and joy you brought in to the class. I am certain that you will be a great teacher especially with your good voice projection; you will wake the sleepy students up.
ReplyDeleteAll the best in your future endeavours!
Cheers.